Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Total Surrender...

[The disciples were greatly astonished] saying amongst themselves, “Who then can be saved?” But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.” Then Peter began to say to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You...” [Mark 10:26-28, NKJV]

Could you imagine the intensity of that conversation between Jesus and his disciples! What an awesome question - and what courage demonstrated on the disciples part to ask! But, don't miss this glorious answer that Christ gives in response:

So Jesus answered and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel’s, who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life..." [Mark 10:29-30, NKJV]

Do you see the Connection - between Surrender and Salvation? The Promise? The Truth? Do you believe Him? Do you truly believe that it is humanly impossible to be saved, and that there is no other way to receive eternal life than through Total Surrender - and I am not talking about ours! But by God's Total Surrender to and for us! ...For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son... [John 3:16, emphasis mine]

I love the wisdom and insight that Oswald Chambers brings to this idea of "Total Surrender": Salvation does not mean merely deliverance from sin or the experience of personal holiness. The salvation which comes from God means being completely delivered from myself, and being placed into perfect union with Him. When I think of my salvation experience, I think of being delivered from my sin and gaining personal holiness. But salvation is so much more! It means that the Spirit of God has brought me into intimate contact with the true Person of God Himself! And as I am caught up into total surrender to God, I become thrilled with something infinitely greater than myself...the fact that He saves us from sin and makes us holy is actually part of the effect of His wonderful and total surrender to us!

See - God is the main character - not us! This is not Jackson's story or the story of Doug and Kelly Barrett - this is His story that He is writing, reflecting and completing within our families, communities, relationships and experiences! And as I am "caught up" into total surrender to God - I am amazed, totally stoked, pumped and thrilled with something infinitely greater than this knucklehead...that He saved me in His Total Surrender! That is nuts ya'all! But it is God - for He is Love! Seriously Ridiculous - Crazy Love!

So - by Faith - let us give ourselves to God today in the same way that He first gave himself for us - totally, unconditionally, and without reservation - and stand on the Promise "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life!" [John 3:16, NKJV]


"The Move" Update: Here is where we stand...

So I’ll stand - With arms high and heart abandoned!
In awe of the One who gave it all!
So I’ll stand - My soul Lord to You surrendered.! All I am is Yours...
[Hillsong's, The Stand]

And we stand on His Promise of Peace and Strength! Check out this story...[and the only reason I share this is that you would join us in prayer and give God the Glory alone! Soli Deo Gloria!]

Monday morning, following a very hard start to the week, we both were "emotionally bankrupt" and exhausted, and I just began to cry out and pray! And during this time of "quiet" I was prompted to go onto Craigslist.com and search for 4bedroom homes for rent - as we had not done this for a week or so - and I came across two listings that I emailed for more information and pictures. One never got back to us - but, Karen did! She has a beautiful 4 bedroom home in the Gibsonia area for rent that she put on Craigslist Sunday! It has every element the Lord has laid on our heart - minus the swimming pool and diving board that Carter insists we have - a sidewalk community, 4 bedrooms, ideal location for Carter's schooling, the hospitals, Kelly and the kids activities, our community of friends, and a great set-up for us to be able to work from home more efficiently and effectively! It has the space, yard and deck to do "life" and "ministry" together - which God has specifically laid on our hearts! And are you ready for the "kicker" - her mother use to work with the Billy Graham Crusade Ministry! How awesome is our God! I mean seriously - what are the chances that the current Regional Manager with the BGEA would "by chance" just happen to connect with a family who worked with the same ministry years ago - that just happens to have a home for rent! That is Seriously Ridiculous! Talk about God revealing Himself in every detail! He is so micro and so macro all at the same time!
And no matter what happens on Sunday when we go through the home - I am sure it will be a great conversation as Kelly and I are excited to meet her and see what/where the Holy Spirit leads! And even if this is not the house - it is just an awesome push of encouragement [light at the end of the tunnel] and reminder that God is with us every step of the way!
So...please be in prayer for Karen, the home, our conversation on Sunday and specifically for Clarity, Wisdom, Unity and Peace as we yield to the Holy Spirit's lead!

All Eyes on Jesus...

No comments: