Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The desert is blooming....

"Had they not walked through the desert, they could never know the Living Waters of Joy. He will make the desert bloom!" [Anonymous, compliments of Jesus]

A dear sister in the Lord, wise counsel and prayer warrior shared this promise with me last night -as I shared story after story of God's amazing Grace, Love, Provision, Majesty and Power being poured out yesterday! This thought - from the Lord - had been laid on her heart several days ago by the Holy Spirit! Here - she had been praying over our family and the Promise of Living Water led her to Malachi 3... to a moment of Truth and Promise, where the Lord requests of His people to test him ...

Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." [Malachi 3:10, NIV]

Four months ago, the Holy Spirit prompted Kelly and I to get our feet wet and that He would part the waters and deliver us in the Promise land...we have prayed for wisdom, unity, clarity, provision and mercy. We have stood on the promise of His Peace and Strength in this desert experience, trusting that He prompted, led and guided us to this place of testing, molding and preparation. We have walked by Faith and not by sight, accepting His purpose, plan and will for our lives - not understanding it from our own perspective - and let me tell you...the floodgates of heaven are opening up and pouring out so much blessing that I don't even have enough room to contain it!

The desert is blooming: House Update
Yesterday - was amazing! God showed up in ways I never before have seen or heard. It started with a great update with Dr. Mallinger, Kelly's OB/GYN - Jackson's heart beat strong at 152bpm, he is measuring well, Kelly is recovery great, no signs of pre-term labor/delivery/complications, and everything is on schedule for a c-section delivery late fall!
We then headed to Butler to begin talking with local banks to secure a mortgage and move forward with Stan and Karen's home in Meridan. We continue to be amazed at how God's story is unfolding before us - down to every detail. After a great time of prayer, my first stop was at First National Bank of Slippery Rock. Great conversation with their assistant branch manager -nice guy - but just was not feeling led to submit a mortgage application with him. The Spirit clearly laid on my heart to "move on". My next stop was at Farmer's First Bank - and the manager was busy with other customers - so I left a message and continued on to the third bank - Citizens Bank.
As I walked in - I was greeted by a young woman behind the counter, and I shared I would like to talk with someone about a home mortgage - her reply was hilarious: "That's great! But you don't want to talk with me! I don't know anything about mortgages! But you do want to talk with her!" and she led me over to Vicki. Vicki and I sat down at her desk, and began having a great conversation. She asked about our situation - and if we had found a home. We began going through the mortgage application - and came to the question of my place of employment. "You really work for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association? That is so cool...what do you for them?" she asked. And after a great conversation about my roles/responsibilities and the Lord's work through the ministries of BGEA, we were on to other financial questions. As we closed the application process - she paused and asked how I met my wife. Interesting question - and of course a more interesting answer! After explaining our blind date, falling in love over the phone, dated for 4months, engaged for 9 and married 13 months after we met, married for 7 years with two beautiful children and one on the way, and how blessed I am that God brought a rock of faith, love and commitment into my life as my wife - Vicki just had this huge smile on her face and was so encouraged. She shared that she has been praying for her son - who just turned 30 and lives outside of Lancaster, PA [no coincidence here that I just turned 30 last year, and lived in Lancaster for 22 years before I met Kelly] - to find a girlfriend who he can share life with and be a blessing to him. I asked his name - which I forget - and asked if I could pray for him. She was so grateful.
And after we talked for a few minutes longer - I could just tell something was on her mind. I asked her if there was anything else I could be praying for...and through tears she shared that her younger sister just recently died in a motorcycle accident while on vacation, leaving behind a husband and son - Andrew and Joshua. Immediately, I was in tears...(for if you don't know - I should not have survived a serious motorcycle accident myself this past March - after flipping and totaling my new cruiser four times, knocked unconscious, life-flighted to Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, released 12 hours later with no broken bones, no internal bleeding and just two bruised lungs and a sore ankle!)
After sharing faith and encouragement with Vicki for several minutes - I looked at her and asked, "If it would be okay with you - could I pray with you right now?" She was amazed by my question and agreed. So we stopped - right in the middle of Citizens Bank in Butler with an office full of activity - and prayed for her son, her family, Andrew, Joshua and for the Vicki's continued strength, encouragement and peace that the Lord is with each of them every step of the way - and that it is okay to cry out to Him for He is Love, Life and Salvation! I tell you what - you should have seen me dancing out of that place, for if that is the only reason that we found Stan and Karen's home, are going after a mortgage, and even if we don't get the house - then it was all worth it! It was a highlight in this whole journey...and then she handed me her card, and her last name is....Jackson! Come on ya'll...how nuts is that!

So, I "david danced" my way out of the bank, drove safely - as fast as I could - to pray and share with Kelly who had been praying the entire time with Grandma as I went to talk with the banks.

Then - an amazing phone call - from a dear brother in Christ, who I have not even met yet face to face. He is extremely wise counsel when it comes to the area of finances and investments - and after more than an hour of conversation, many tough questions, and an amazing sense of the Holy Spirit guiding our conversation - he said, brother:
...If I were in your shoes - without a wife, two children, the journey you are all have gone through, the "coincidences" of this home, the unknown medical situation with a new baby - I would say this home is to much of a stretch for you, and you should rent for a couple of years. BUT - that is not the case - and you need to go after this home, and find a place of refuge and retreat that provides space, security and stability for your wife and children.
AMEN and AMEN! Talk about encouragement! and then he said something I will never forget: "And you need to go and rely on those who can financially get you into this home. You are doing the right thing, by asking for financial counsel and help. And it is okay to go to those who are financially able to invest in the gospel and your ministry." He shared that he would be praying and ask God as to how he can financially support our family to get into this home, and I don't even know him! How awesome is our God! Do you see... the floodgates are opening...rain down Lord! Rain Down...
And after this conversation, and a quick call to one of our prayer warriors, which the Holy Spirit laid on my heart at the exact time she was praying for us, the home and our conversation with Karen and Stan - we were prepared to go after this home - with a full price offer and great confidence in/from our wise counsel and the Promise of Living Water! We want this to not only be a ministry investment on our part - but a huge blessing to Stan, Karen and Emily.

And after two hours of conversation with Stan and Karen...there is no doubt that the Lord is leading us to this home. Stan and I shared conversation and life together like to long-lost, life-long friends on the deck for an hour - talking about the ministry plans/ideas we have for the house, community, our families, the "coincidences" of our journeys, and so many other stories of God's grace, provision and love in our lives - it was so cool! Kelly and Karen spent an hour talking about the kids and our/their move. Kelly met an awesome neighbor - Trish (who needs are prayers right now, as her husband recently passed away and left two teenage, twin daughters). And we both watch Carter and Jordyn - with pure joy - as they played on the swing set, put sticks in the fire pit, played with Emily and her two dogs, rode Emily's tri-cycle with neighbor boys in the driveway! I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are, and of the many plans Kelly and I have for ministry, life and community in this home, but I can tell you how encouraged and confident we are in the way the Lord is "breakthrough" and calling the desert to bloom!

And then the moment of absolute conviction...Stan shares that he was expecting another offer later in the evening, and that he and Karen were led to take the next 7 days and pray, before making a decision! Hallelujah! How is awesome is that! A brother and sister in the Lord - who are going to reinforce their foundation of prayer, allowing the Holy Spirit to speak into their lives and this decision!

Please join us and reinforce our foundation of prayer , as we join Stan and Karen in prayer for discernment, peace, wisdom, and unity in this move and our families! We are praying that the Lord continues to move this mountain...makes His plan, purpose and path crystal clear...and that He continues to open His floodgates - as he already has - and pours down provision - not just financial, but in time, patience, strength, mercy and guidance! We don't know how he is going to get us into this home - but we know that if it is His Will, His Plan, and His Purpose - He will provide the resources necessary! Rain down, Lord Almighty!

Please join us in prayer for the next 7 days...and remember...all we need to do is be still!

[Deep breath]...I am fired up ya'll! I know that was intense and long - but one more quick update!

Jackson Update: Prayer Request
Tomorrow we have our echo and ultrasound for Jackson - and pray that the left side of his heart is "squeezing"! We believe that God is going to complete His healing - perfectly - and we can't wait to see how He is continuing to touch Jackson's life tomorrow!

Praise God...And Keep your Eyes Fixed on Jesus! Love you all...

No comments: